If you have ever felt anxious or restless after skipping your regular dose of caffeine, and may think if you are experiencing a sort of withdrawal – well, if such symptoms last long and impact your life or your mood negatively, then you are experiencing a caffeine withdrawal.
SYMPTOMS OF CAFFEINE WITHDRAWAL
The most common symptom of all is headache, which is experienced by almost 50 per cent people having a withdrawal.
● Difficulty in concentrating
● Depressed mood
● Muscle ache
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU QUIT CAFFEINE
● You feel extremely lethargic and low on fuel for a while. Symptoms mentioned above begin occurring in the first 12-24 hours once you discontinue caffeine and will last up to 2 to 9 days. More intense symptoms are likely visible in people who take high dose of caffeine on the regular.
● Surprisingly, you will drop some weight. The average person loads up so many calories with the amount of caffeine they consume every single time during their day. A bit of cream and sugar will easily load up 200 calories in a mug, so cutting back on caffeine will easily help you drop some kilos in the withdrawal period.
● Or, you might gain weight! Caffeine acts as a powerful yet temporary appetite suppressant. After cutting down on it, you will tend to feel a lot hungrier. But if you are a black coffee lover, then you might burn some good calories and keep the weight gain off the scale.
● You get more sleep and will feel more energetic. A small cup of caffeine before bed can keep you wide awake for 6 long hours, straight and easily disrupt your night’s sleep – eventually you will wake up extremely tired the next day craving for more caffeine. As for people who are off caffeine, sleep longer and better.
● You feel a lot better throughout the day. Caffeine boosts a release of adrenaline, narrows your blood vessels and raises your blood pressure. By getting rid of caffeine, you will feel less stressed and anxious throughout your day.
HOW TO QUIT CAFFEINE WITHOUT IT AFFECTING YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
Here are some easy tips to help you quit caffeine –
● Swap your morning caffeine with ACV. It is important to replace your morning coffee with some other hot drink with absolute 0mg caffeine. Start drinking Apple Cider Vinegar in the morning, it has some amazing health benefits, including weight loss and it also helps people with diabetes to regulate their blood sugar levels.
● Drink lots of water through the day. The more you hydrated yourself with water, the more energetic you will feel throughout the day, the better focussed you will be in everything you do.
● Exercise! It’s necessary to find another jolt of energy from an alternative especially when you are trying to quit caffeine which kept you active perpetually for few hours in your day. Start working out, it pumps up your blood faster than a dose of caffeine.
● Sleep well. There’s nothing a good night’s sleep can’t cure! Especially when you are being restless during your withdrawal period, try to get some good 8-9 hours of sleep every night. Another option to keep yourself fresh is to take naps whenever you get time, to help you stay more focussed and calm.